Inji Pulli / Pulli inji is a Kerala style ginger- tamarind pickle. This is something without which we can’t imagine Kerala Sadya. The sweet and gingery taste of this pickle is something that makes it unique. So this summer vacation I learnt the recipe of inji pulli from my parents.
Here I am adding one more recipe to the Onam sadya recipe round up. More recipes are in the queue to join the post. If you have not checked my recipe round up of Onam sadya , do check it out.
Let’s see the quick recipe now.
- Ginger- 2 big pieces ( sliced thin)
- Tamarind- 1 big lemon sized ball( without seed)
- Red chilly powder- 1 tablespoon
- Green chilies- 3 ( sliced half)
- Jaggery- 2 medium pieces ( powdered)
- Curry leaves- 5-6 nos.
- Salt- as per needed
- Coconut oil- 2 tablespoon
For the tempering:
- Coconut Oil- 2 tablespoon
- Red chilies- 2/3
- Curry leaves- a small bunch
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
How to make:
- First of all make a thick tamarind paste out of the tamarind by mixing it with 1 glass of water.Keep it aside.
- Now heat a wok, add oil and once the oil is hot, add ginger, curry leaves. Stir this for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Later add red chilly powder and saute it for another 4-5 minutes along with some salt.
- To this pour the tamarind paste using a strainer or hand( without the tamarind particles). Mix the tamarind paste thoroughly with the rest of the ingredients. Add more water, say 1/2 glass if required.Also add the powdered jaggery to this paste now.
- Now Let this cook till it reaches the required consistency. Add more chilly powder or salt if needed.
- Switch off the flame, once the ginger-tamarind paste is thick enough.( I didn’t make it too thick, because my family prefers inji pulli to be a bit loose)
- Now let’s do the last step of the recipe. Heat a pan , pour coconut oil and splutter the mustard seeds along with red chilies and curry leaves.
- Switch off the flame, pour this tempering to the pickle and mix well.
So Inji Pulli is ready. This tastes best when served with rice..Also you can store this for longer time without any propblem.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for future. Do give a try and let me know how it was:)..