Kerala style Chicken curry cooked in spicy coconut sauce
If you ask me which is my personal favorite Kerala style chicken curry, the answer would be this Chicken Kuruma!! This is that chicken curry which I can prepare over and over again..I love t serve this delicious curry along with another special recipe from Kerala- Ghee rice!! That is actually a win win combination.
So thought of posting this awesome curry recipe on this occasion of national curry week.
Let’s check the recipe:
- Chicken- 1/2 kg
- Onion- 2 (sliced)
- Green chilies- 4 (sliced )
- Ginger- 1 inch piece (finely chopped )
- Garlic- 6-8 cloves ( finely chopped )
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Green chilly paste-made with 3-4 chilies
- Tomato- 2 (chopped)
- Coconut- 1/2 cup
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- salt- as per needed
- Oil- 2 tablespoon
For the Tadka:
- Coconut Oil- 2 tablespoon
- Red Chilly powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- a handful
- Shallots- a handful( sliced )
- Coriander leaves- a small bunch ( chopped )
How to make:
- First of all make a smooth coconut milk out of coconut, water and fennel seeds and keep it aside.
- Now heat a wok and add oil. Then add sliced green chilies and chopped ginger- garlic. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Later add onion along with salt and give a nice stir for 2-3 minutes.Once the onion is soft and tender add the chicken pieces and mix it well along with the other ingredients. Cook this for 6-8 minutes on medium heat with the lid closed.
- Give a nice stir every now and then to avoid the chicken pieces from sticking to the bottom.
- Now add the paste made out of ginger,garlic and green chilies, along with tomatoes. Mix all the ingredients well and continue to cook for another couple of minutes with lid closed.
- By this time you can see some water content in the wok. Mash the tomatoes with the spatula.
- Later pour the coconut milk and stir well. Add more salt if needed and reduce the flame to low and cook with lid closed for another 5-6 minutes.
8. Give a nice stir in between and let it cook well. Switch off the flame once the curry reaches the required consistency and make sure the chicken is well cooked.
9.Now heat a pan , add oil. Once the oil is ready add the shallots and give a nice stir. When shallots turns slightly brown, add curry leaves and red chilly powder. Then switch off the flame and pour this tadka to the chicken curry. Garnish the curry with chopped coriander leaves as well.
Tadaaa..Our yummy chicken curry is ready..Serve it hot along with any kind of rice or bread.
Do give a try to this Kerala style chicken kuruma and don’t forget to let me know how it was:)..Also don’t forget to pin the recipe for future.