Kerala Style Cabbage- Carrot Stir Fry
Today here I am coming with an authentic Kerala vegetarian recipe, which is served along with Onam sadya. There are different types of thoran recipes. But here is a most popular one from the list, which you can see for all the sadyas.
This is a favorite item of mine from the sadya recipes.I can eat this thoran just like that without any rice.
So let’s check the recipe:
- Cabbage-1/2 of a medium sized one(grated )
- Carrot- 1 ( grated )
- Coconut -1/4 cup ( grated )
- Cumin seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies-3
- Red chilies-2
- Urad dal- 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves-a small bunch
- Shallots-a handful
- Coconut oil-2 spoon
- Salt- as per required
How to make:
- First of all put coconut, cumin seeds , shallots, green chilies in a blender and give 2-3 pulses..keep it aside.. This is the key ingredient of Thoran.
- Mix the grated cabbage and carrotin a bowl well along with some salt.
- Now heat a wok / pan, add oil and splutter urad dal, mustard seeds, red chilies and curry leaves.
- To this add the mixed veggies along with the coconut mixture. Give a nice stir and cook this for 6-8 minutes at medium flame with lid closed.
- Stir it occasionally and check for salt. If required add more salt. Once the veggies are soft and tender switch off the flame.
It won’t take more than 8 minutes for cabbage and carrot to be cooked. The recipe is very easy. The only main step involved in this recipe is grating the cabbage and carrot. If you are using a food processor, then no worries.
So our Kerala style cabbage- Carrot stir fry is ready.. Do give it a try and let me know your reviews.
Please don’t forget to pin the recipe for future:)!!