Unniyappam is another sweet snack recipe all the way from my place- Kerala. Without any doubt I can say that all those who have tasted this sweet snack once, will crave for more.. I never thought of making unniyappam at home someday. But it happened only because of my mom’s help and engagement. Now I am looking forward to make another batch soon.
Now Onam is around the corner. So unniyappam recipe is on high demand. Unniyappam is also a sweet snack which is made and served during the great Kerala feast- Onam.
It was really very difficult for me to click the pictures of these unniyappams, as it was disappearing one by one from the bowl. You can imagine, who was the culprit:)!! Later somehow my mom managed to control my little naught girl from stealing unniyappams. Actually it was not her fault, the unniyappams were so tempting. Even I couldn’t resist:)..
Let’s check the recipe:
- White rice- 1 cup
- Jaggery- 2 big pieces
- Water -1.5 cup
- Cherupazham / Poovan Banana- 1
- Baking powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut- chopped as shown in the image
- Ghee- 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil- 1-2 tablespoon for each unniyappam ( or enough oil for deep frying the unniyappam)
(NOTE: You will need an appe pan for making this unniyappam. With this quantity of ingredients I made 25 small sized unniyyapams)
How to make
- First of all soak rice in water for at least half an hour, then wash the rice thoroughly and drain out the excess water.Later keep it for drying. Once it is dry, put it in a mixer and blend it. We have to make a fine powder out of it. Add this powdered rice to a big bowl.
- Heat a pan with water and jaggery pieces. Keep stirring till it get into a syrup like consistency .
- Now mash the poovan banana / cherupazham and add it to the rice powder which we prepared. Add baking powder to this bowl along with the jaggery syrup (pour it using a strainer). Give a nice stir in order to make a smooth unniyappam batter without any lumps.
- Now heat a pan, add ghee and roast the coconut slices till it turns golden brown. Then add this to the batter and mix all things together. So the unniyappam batter is ready.Keep it for sometime, say at least half an hour.
- Now heat the appe pan, pour coconut oil as shown in the image. Let it heat. Once the oil is hot enough, pour the batter till the top of the pan and cook this in medium flame with lid closed for 4-5 minutes.
- Later flip it using a fork or spoon. Cook the other side also thoroughly. Once it is golden brown and cooked from inside, remove it from the flame and place it over a bed of tissue paper in order to remove excess water.
- Repeat this till the batter finishes.
So our unniyappam is ready..Go grab all the ingredients for the recipe and do give a try..The recipe is not that tedious. Making the unniyappam was really fun. I loved trying this recipe with my mom.
Do save the recipe for future. Don’t forget to pin this quick recipe of Unniyappam.