Potato Stuffed Chilly Fritters
It’s pouring cats and dogs back in India.Almost all my friends are posting monsoon photos and videos from India. I am just dreaming of rain. The best thing I love about monsoon is the evening tea and hot pakoras (or fritters). Aaahhhhh….I just tried to recreate that scenario here at Qatar by making some hot pakoras. So this blog post is completely dedicated to all those who are enjoying monsoon and to all those poor folks who are dreaming of monsoon like me:).
A wide variety of pakoras / fritters are there. Among them mirch pakoras (chilly fritters )are my favorite. Once I tried meat stuffed mirch pakoras and it was super duper hit.This aloo stuffed pakora was also equally tasty .
Let’s check the recipe now:
- Big Chilly- 6 ( deseeded )
- Onion- 2 ( finely chopped )
- Potato – 2 ( chopped and boiled along with salt)
- Green Chilly- 4 ( finely chopped )
- Ginger- 1 inch piece ( finely chopped )
- Garlic – 6 cloves ( finely chopped )
- Curry leaves – a small bunch ( chopped )
- Cilantro leaves – a small bunch ( finely chopped )
- Red chilly flakes- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
- Vinegar- 2 tablespoon
- Pepper powder- 1/2 teasponn
- Red chilly powder- 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tablespoon
- Oil- for deep frying the chilies
- Salt- as per needed
For preparing the batter:
- Chickpea flour- 3 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder– 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Water- as per required to make a not so loose batter
- Salt- as per needed
How to make:
- First of all let’s mix vinegar, red chilly flakes, salt, pepper powder together along with 2 tablespoon water. Later make slits on the green chilies and apply the mixture thoroughly over the chilies.Then keep the chilies over this vinegar mixture at least for an hour or so.This is the main step of this recipe. Chilies turns more tastier and soft.
- Let’s make the aloo/ potato stuffing now. Heat a wok, pour 2 tablespoon oil to it. Add cumin seeds.After 2 minutes add onion to this oil. Saute it for 2-3 minutes. Then add salt, ginger ,garlic followed by green chilles and cilantro leaves. Cook this till onion becomes soft and tender.
- Once the onion turns transparent let’s add cooked potatoes. Give a nice stir and mix all the ingredients thoroughly.Cook this in low flame for 5 minutes .
- Now with the spatula, mash the potatoes well. Later add turmeric powder and red chilly powder. Again cook this for 2-3 minutes and switch off the flame. So the aloo filling is ready.
- Now take the big green chilies which we soaked in the vinegar mixture and insert the potato filling into it through the slit carefully, without breaking the chilly. Do this to all the chilies and keep it aside.
- Next step is to prepare the batter for the pakora. In a bowl mix garam masala powder, chickpea flour ,red chilly powder, salt and water. Make this to a batter type of consistency.Be careful while adding water. First add little and mix, if required add more.
- Now heat a wok with enough oil to deep fry the pakoras. Then immerse the stuffed chilies to the batter and deep fry it . Once the fritters are golden brown, take it out and place on a plated with tissue paper.
So our aloo stuffed chilly fritters/ pakoras are ready.. Serve it hot along with a spicy dip and hot coffee/ tea.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for future:)