Kerala Style Dessert With Mung Dal
So advanced happy Onam to all my friends.. Payasam is a Kerala style dessert made with rice/wheat /certain type of lentils along with milk / coconut milk. Onam Sadya cannot be completed without one or two type of payasam’s. So many varieties of payasam’s are available. Almost three years back I have posted Mathanga- Pazham Prathaman ( pumkin- plantain payasam).
So here comes the second payasam recipe, which is very simple and delicious. I made this payasam under the guidance of my mom. I completely depend on my mom and dad for all these kind of traditional Kerala recipes.If you are confused which payasam to make this Onam, do give a try to this one..
Let’s check the recipe:
- Mung Dal / cherupayar parippu- 1 cup
- Grated Coconut-2 cups
- Jaggery-4 big pieces ( chopped )
- Water- 3.5 cups
- Cardamom- -3-4 ( powdered)
- Water- 3 cups
- Ghee- 1 teaspoon
For final garnishing:
- Cashew nuts- a handful
- Raisins- a handful
- Ghee- 2 teaspoon
How to make:
- First of all heat a pan along with jaggery and 1 cup water in medium flame. Stir nicely and let it boil. Cook this for 5-6 minutes till it becomes a thick jaggery syrup. Switch off the flame and let it sit.
- Now heat a pan , add moong dal and stir it nicely for 4-5 minutes in medium flame. Once the color changes, switch off the flame. Later wash this moong dal thoroughly and drain excess water.
- Now let’s prepare the coconut milk.In a blender add all the grated coconut along with 1/2 cup of water.Give it a blend and squeeze out the thick coconut milk using a strainer. Keep it aside. This is the thick milk ( onnam Paalu) which we are going to use for the preparation of payasam.
- Now let’s make the thin coconut milk in which we are going to cook the moong dal. Put the coconut back into the blender along with 2 cups water. Blend it nicely and again strain the thin coconut milk to the pot in which we are going to make payasam.
- Now add moong dal to the thin milk and keep it on low flame. Cook this with the lid closed and stir it in equal intervals.Cook this till the moong dal gets cooked. For me it took almost 15-20 minutes .
- Once the dal is cooked pour jaggery syrup to it. Stir gently for 8-10 minutes. If needed you can mash the moong dal with masher.I did, because I love it that way. Later once the moong dal is completely cooked, we can add the thick coconut milk which we prepared earlier. Now we have to stir without any gap.
- After 5 minutes add cardamom powder and stir well. Let it boil for and keep on stirring. Now you can see the liquid content becoming thick . Finish it off with a teaspoon of ghee when the payasam reaches to the required consistency and switch off the flame. .
- Here comes the last step of the recipe. That is roasting the cashew nuts and raisins. Heat a pan, add ghee. Once it is hot, roast the nuts and raisins till it becomes brown.Then pour this roasted nuts to the payasam along with the ghee.
Tadaaaa…We are done!! Onam special Parippu payasam is ready. Do share and pin the recipe for future.