Sadya Dish 2 – Vellarikka/ Yellow Cucumber Pachadi:
So here comes the second item from the famous Kerala Sadya. This is my another favorite sadya dish after Aviyal. There are two reasons for loving this curry. First one is obviously the awesome taste and the second reason is the simple recipe of this curry It’s too easy to make this vellarikka pachadi.
I often makes this pachadi for lunch, especially when I am lazy to cook. But the only problem is that ,I will eat a lot of rice on those days :)!! So you can imagine, how tasty this Pachadi would be!!
So let’s check the recipe:
- Vellarikka / yellow cucumber- 1 ( chopped after removing the skin and seeds )
- Coconut- 1/2 cup
- Yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tablespoon
- Green Chilly- 4 ( sliced half)
- Water – 1 +1/2 cup
For the tempering:
- Coconut oil- 2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- a small bunch
- Red chilly – 3
How to make:
- First of all let’s prepare the main sauce for the curry. In a blender add coconut,cumin seeds, mustard seeds along with some water( say 1/4 cup). Once a thick paste is made out of this, pour yogurt and give a pulse.Keep this aside.
- Now cook cucumber,green chilies along with water and salt in medium flame for at least 10-15 minutes with lid closed. Make sure the cucumber is cooked thoroughly. Don’t let it dry completely. If the water content is low, pour some.
- Once the cucumber is soft and tender, reduce the flame and pour the coconut- yogurt sauce which we prepared to this.Let it cook for sometime, say 3-4 minutes. Don’t let it boil. Mix all the ingredients nicely, check for salt and add more if required. Later switch off the flame.
- Now let’s do the last step of the recipe. That is tempering. Heat a pan and pour oil. Later splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilly.
- Then pour the tempering over the pachadi / curry and give a stir!!
So our vellarikka pachadi is ready. Easy to prepare and tastes awesome. I am sure that you loved the recipe, isn’t it??
Do pin and share the recipe with your friends and family too. Also don’t forget to pin the recipe of Kerala style vellarikka pachadi.