Undoubtedly Chicken is a favorite item of all non vegetarians. It can be cooked in a number of ways. I always try not to repeat the same Chicken recipe often, so that we will never get fed up of chicken. I think not just me, almost all of us do the same , right??
So next time when you are going to cook chicken, don’t be confused. Try this spicy Kerala style chicken roast recipe.You might be wondering is this a roast?? In Kerala, we call these kind of recipes – Roast. There are different types of roast recipes from kerala. Here is a famous one..It’s a thick kind of spicy masala. This chicken roast pairs well with ghee rice. It can be served along with normal rice / any flat breads also. But my favorite combination is chicken roast and ghee rice.
So let’s check the recipe:
For Marinating Chicken:
- Chicken – 1 ( cut to medium sized pieces)
- Red chilly powder- 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder- 1 /2 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder– 1/2 teaspoon
- Vinegar- 2 tablespoon
- Salt- as per required
For The Roast:
- Oil- 1/2 cup
- Onion – 3 big ( chopped)
- Tomato- 2 big (chopped )
- Tomato paste- 3 tablespoon
- Curry leaves- a handful
- Cilantro leaves- a small bunch ( chopped )
- Ginger -two 1 inch pieces ( sliced thin)
- Garlic- 8-10 cloves ( sliced thin)
- Green chilies- 6 ( cut to half )
- Kashmiri Chilly Powder- 1 tablespoon
- Salt- as per needed.
How to make:
- Marinate chicken with all the ingredients listed above and keep it aside for at least half an hour. Later heat the wok, pour oil and deep fry the chicken and keep the fried chicken aside. (Note: Do not off the flame)
- Add green chilies, ginger, garlic and curry leaves to the oil. Stir it for 2-3 minutes . Now the oil have all the flavors of the fried chicken , curry leaves, green chilies, ginger , garlic .This is the real essence of the recipe. To this oil add onion. Saute it well for 2-3 minutes at medium flame and cook this for another 5 minutes with the lid closed. Stir at equal intervals.
- Once the onion is soft and tender, add tomato paste, Kashmiri chilly powder and saute well. After 2-3 minutes add the tomatoes.and mash the tomatoes with the spatula.
- Now add fried chicken pieces and give a nice stir. Again try to mash the masala with the spatula to get more taste. Cook this at low flame for another 5-6 minutes with the lid closed.Once it is done, finish it off with more curry leaves and cilantro leaves.
So we are done!! Spicy Chicken roast is ready.. serve it hot with rice or any flat bread.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for future. I hope you will love it. Also do let me know how it was , after giving a try to this Kerala spicy chicken..