Sadya Dish 1- Aviyal:
How many of you have not tasted Kerala SADYA?? If the answer is YES, you must!! It’s a must have Kerala feast. I just love sadya..I just can’t explain how madly I love sadya..If you are wondering what is sadya, it’s a traditional vegetarian meal served in banana leaf. All major Kerala vegetarian dishes would be served in sadya along with variety of Payasam(dessert).
In Kerala sadya is served mainly during Onam, Vishu and other special occasions like weddings and birthdays. In my home, sometimes we used to order sadya from our favorite catering service.In less than a month, it’s Onam.. So today I am coming up with a main item of sadya- AVIYAL. More items from the sadya is coming up.
I am not that expert in authentic Kerala dishes. So I am cooking all these dishes under the guidance of my mom and dad.In a recent post I told you guys, that more Kerala dishes are coming to the blog, as my parents are here at Qatar. So it’s time for me to expertise Kerala cooking with them.
Let’s check the recipe:
( All vegetables has to be sliced as shown in the image)
- Carrot- 1 big
- Elephant yam – 1 small
- Drumstick – 2
- Beans- 5-6
- Yellow Cucumber( vellarikka)- small 1
- Coconut- 1 cup
- Yogurt- 1/4 cup
- Shallots- a handful
- Green chilies- 4
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut oil- 3 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- a small bunch
How to make:
- First of all, Put all the sliced vegetables to the cooking vessel along with half of the curry leaves and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Give a nice stir and cook this in low flame with lid closed for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now add turmeric powder , salt to this and cook for another 8-10 minutes with lid closed.By this time you can see water content in the vessel. Make sure the vegetables are cooked thoroughly.Otherwise we have to cook this for another couple of minutes before going to the next step.
- Now in a blender, make a thick paste ( Note: you just have coarsely grind it.don’t overdo) out of shallots, green chilies, cumin seeds along with 2 tablespoon water. Once it is done, add yogurt and give a pulse.
- Then add this Coconut mixture to the vegetables and give a nice stir. Cook this for few minutes.
- Now just finish it off with rest of coconut oil and curry leaves.Close the lid and off the flame. Let it sit for sometime and make sure to give a nice stir while serving , so that the coconut oil reaches everywhere.
So the first dish from Sadya Round – AVIYAL is ready..Don’t you think, the recipe is not that difficult or tedious as you thought??
I can finish a plate of rice only with this aviyal. This is a truly finger licking dish from Kerala Cuisine.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for future.