Fried Chicken Biryani
How many Biryani lovers here??? I am sure many are there..A plateful of biryani can make me happy and relaxed. In my home we usually make biryani during weekends, special occasions or anytime we feel like eating (ha ha :))!! Sometimes I have sudden cravings for biryani..In that case, if time permits I cook or otherwise we go to our favorite restaurants which serve yummy biryani. If you ask me, which is my favorite biryani, I will say it is King fish and prawns biryani.Then comes Chicken biryani.
So let’s check the recipe:
For Chicken Fry:
- Chicken- 1/2 kilogram
- Red chilly powder- 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chilly powder- 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala powder– 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger – Garlic paste- 1 spoon
- Salt- as per required
- Lemon juice- of 1 big lemon
- Oil- as per required in order to deep fry the chicken
For Biryani Masala:
- Fried Chicken
- Onion- 6 ( sliced )
- tomatoes-6 big ( sliced )
- Garlic-10-15 cloves (crushed )
- ginger- 4 big 1 inch pieces (crushed )
- green chilies-6 (crushed )
- Cilantro leaves- as per needed (chopped)
- Garam masala– 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander powder- 1+ 1/2 teaspoon
- chilly powder-1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- curd-2 big tablespoon
- Ghee / vegetable oil -4 tablespoon
For Biryani Rice:
- Onion- 1( finely sliced )
- Vegetable oil- 3 tablespoon
- Ghee- 1 teaspoon
- Basmati rice- 2 cups
- Whole garam masala – as per required (pepper, cardamom,bay leaves,cinnamon,fennel seeds, star anise, cloves )as shown in the image
- Water- say , more than half the level of the cooking vessel
- Salt- as per required
For final Garnishing and dum:
- Onion- 1 (sliced)
- Cashew nuts- a handful
- Raisins- a handful
- Ghee-as per required or say, 2 tablespoon
- Cilantro leaves- a small bunch ( chopped )
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 teaspoon
How to make:
- First let’s marinate the chicken. In a bowl or plate put all the ingredients required for marinating the chicken and make it to a tick paste with some water ( say few drops).Then marinate the chicken nicely with this marinade.Keep the marinated chicken covered inside refrigerator for few hours. It would be great, if you are keeping it overnight.
- Now let’s prepare the Biryani rice.Boil water and add the whole garam masala spices, salt to the boiling water. Then add the washed rice to this boiling water and let it cook. Once the rice is almost done, switch off the flame. Drain the water from rice by pouring it to a strainer.Then keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with enough oil to deep fry the marinated chicken. Once it is hot, deep fry the chicken and keep it aside.
- Now let’s prepare the Chicken masala. Heat a big pan / wok. Add 4 tablespoon of oil in which you fried chicken to this. Once it is hot, add the sliced onion and saute well along with some salt until it turns soft and tender.Cook this for 6-8 minutes.
- Later add the tomatoes.. Saute well till onion and tomatoes get mixed together..
- When the onion-tomato paste is cooked, add the masala powders ( turmeric, chilly, coriander, garam masala), crushed Ginger, Garlic and chilly.. Mix all the ingredients together and press it nicely with the spatula so that everything will get smashed . Cook this for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add cilantro leaves , chicken pieces to the masala. Give a nice stir and let the mixture gets mixed with the chicken pieces.Cook this with lid closed for 8-10 minutes on medium flame. Stir it occasionally. Once the masala is done add yogurt and mix well. Add more cilantro leaves and switch off the flame.So masala is ready.
- Next step is to fry the ingredients for garnishing. Heat pan, add ghee and fry raisins ,cashew nuts, onion separately. Keep all the things aside.
- Now let’s do the Biryani dum process. Heat the cooking vessel, add 1 teaspoon ghee and add the first layer of rice..next add the chicken masala , spread evenly over the rice and then layer it..Then finish it off with a layer of rice.Garnish the top with fried ingredients and cilantro leaves. Also sprinkle the garam masala powder all over and make few small wholes and pour drops of ghee into these wholes. Close the lid and Keep a heavy object over it in order to make it air tight. Then keep the flame to sim and cook this for 10-15 minutes.
Even after switching off the flame, keep it closed. After 30 minutes or so you can serve it . While serving do make sure to stir it nicely so that the rice and masala gets mixed well.
I hope this recipe post of Fried chicken biryani would be helpful for you all, especially for the newbies in the kitchen. Serve it along with your favorite Raita and pickle. Taking this biryani to all my friends at Fiesta Friday co hosted by Tracey @ My Baja Kitchen and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook .