Dal Karela- Stir fried bitter gourd with chana dal / lentil
So I guess all are back to normal life after Eid holidays. Now let’s talk about some normal food.By normal food I meant dishes which can be served for lunch and dinner along with Roti / chapathi and rice everyday.Recently I am getting requests from my readers asking for some Vegetarian dishes. So here comes a delicious vegetarian dish that too with Bitter Gourd- which is a not so favorite veggie for most of us.I got this recipe from my North Indian colleague cum bestie, who used to bring this Dal Karela in lunch box. First day itself I asked the recipe and tried it 3- 4 times so far.
My hubby and mom loved this sweet and bitter dish like anything. The best part is I really enjoyed making this dish.It’s very simple and you don’t have to do a lot of preparations for the recipe. Now let’s check the recipe:
- Karela / bitter gourd – 2 ( sliced thin)
- Chana Dal- 1/4 cup ( washed and soaked in water for at least 2 hours )
- Onion- 1 (chopped )
- Dried mango/ Amchur powder- 1 tablespoon
- Red chilly powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Garlic powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Jaggery / sugar – 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- a small bunch
- Cilantro leaves- a small bunch( chopped )
- oil- 3 table spoon
- salt- as per required
How to make:
- First of all , place the chopped bitter gourd over tissue paper and remove all the excess water content from it by pressing it with a towel or tissue paper. Then add this to a bowl and mix it with purchase tramadol online overnight salt and a pinch of red chilly powder. Keep this aside for few minutes.
- Heat a pan with oil. To this add the bitter gourd and shallow fry it till it becomes brown.I did it in two batches. After frying Keep it aside. No need to off the flame.
- To the same pan add cumin seeds and splutter it. Then add curry leaves and stir for few minutes.Later add onion and stir it for few minutes till it becomes soft.
4) Now add all the spice powders along with salt and saute it for 2-3 minutes.Now add the chana dal without water(NOTE: Don’t drain the water ) and saute it along with the spices and onion. Later add some water in which we soaked the dal. Let this cook for 6-8 minutes in low flame with lid closed.
5) Open the lid and add the jaggery and mix it well. Again cook this with lid closed on medium flame till the dal gets cooked.Once it is done, we can add the karela or fried bitter gourd. Mix all the ingredients together and cook for another 3-4 minutes. If needed , you can add more spice powders or jaggery.
6) I added a little bit more Dried mango / Amchur powder for that tangy taste. Once it is done add some cilantro leaves and off the flame.
So our sweet and tangy Dal Karela sabzi is ready to serve. It pairs well with Rotis and rice as well.The main thing i loved in the dish is that it is not too dry.
So I hope you all will give this recipe a try. Do let me know how it is and I am super excited to see the images of the tried dishes.