Falafel is a popular middle eastern dish.This is a favorite dish of almost everyone, especially those who are pure vegetarians. My hubby likes homemade falafels, rather than store bought ones. This is a very good Lunch box item too packed with lot of greens and proteins.
This dish is a perfect Ramadan snack also ,as it is not that heavy and spicy:)!!
Let’s check the recipe now..
For making Falafel:
- Chickpeas – 1 tin ( drained and without water content)
- Onion-1 (chopped)
- Parsley leaves- a big bunch
- Cilantro leaves- a small bunch
- Lemon juice – of 1 lemon
- Tahini paste- 1 spoon
- Dried Red chilies – 3
- Gram Flour- 2 tablespoons
- Garlic – 4-6 cloves
- olive oil- 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt- as per needed
- Oil- for deep frying
For making Falafel stuffed Pita’s:
- Pita bread-2
- Tahini- 1 tablespoon
- Mayonnaise-3 spoon
- lettuce- a small bunch(chopped)
- Onion-1 (sliced)
(NOTE: with this quantity of ingredients I made almost 12 Falafels )
How to make:
- add all the ingredients except gram flour and oil to the food processor and blend it to a thick paste without much water content.
- To this add the gram flour and mix it. If your falafel mixture is too loose or water content is more add more gram flour to keep it firm. Then take small balls and make patties out of it. (NOTE: If you feel that the patties are not firm, then keep it in the freezer for sometime till it becomes firm)
- Now heat the pan and pour oil. Deep fry the patties once the oil is hot enough. Later place the fried falafels on tissue paper to remove excess oil from it.
- Now mix the tahini and mayonnaise in a bowl. Take pita bread and cut it to half and open the bread. Spread the mayonnaise -Tahini mixture inside the pita. First stuff some lettuce inside it and top it with onion slices and place the falafels. If needed spread more mayonnaise-tahini paste over it and serve ..
So our falafels stuffed pitas are ready. I served it as an Iftar snack the other day. It was really a hit and all loved it.