Spicy Beef Dry Fry
Beef Varattiyathu is an amazing dish with lot of spices!! Almost all Keralites ( non vegetarians) are so fond of this Beef Varattiyathu!! My dad’s recipe of Beef Varattiyathu is a favorite one in our family..All used to request him to make this beef dry fry whenever they are visiting us..
I also learnt this recipe from him.. I’m not that interested in beef, but this one is my favorite.. This beef Varattiyathu goes well with rice and “Moru Curry”/ Kerala style yogurt curry!!
So today here I am posting the recipe of Beef Varattiyathu:
(NB:you will need a pressure cooker for this recipe and lot Of patience )
For Cooking Beef in pressure cooker:
- Beef-1/2 kg ( cut to pieces )
- Onion-2( sliced )
- Tomato-1 ( sliced )
- Coriander powder-2 +1/2 spoon
- Red chilly powder-1 +1/2 spoon
- Turmeric powder-1 spoon
- Garam masala powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder-1/2 spoon
- Fenugreek seeds-a pinch
- Green chillies-2 ( sliced )
- Ginger-1/2 inch piece ( finely crushed )
- Garlic – 5 cloves ( crushed )
- Water-1/2 cup
- Salt-as per needed
For dry fry:
- Oil-2 spoon
- Onion-2 ( sliced )
- Green chilies-2 ( sliced )
- Curry leaves-a handful
- Coriander powder-2 spoon
- Black pepper powder-1 spoon
- Red chilly powder-1/2 spoon
- Garam masala powder-a pinch
- Red chilly-2
- Cilantro leaves-a handful ( finely chopped)
How to make:
1) the first and foremost thing is to mix all the ingredients except water in the pressure cooker with hands.. Almost You have to knead the veggie stuff along with the beef with hands..this the key step of this recipe..later add water and close the pressure cooker.. Cook till it whistles at least 5 times..then off the flame!!
The beef should be cooked well..the number of whistles depends upon the beef which we are using .. Even after 5 whistles if it is not cooked, cook till it becomes soft in the pressure cooker!
( NB: if you don’t have pressure cooker , a slow cooker / crock pot can be used to do this)
2)now keep a pan, then pour oil..when it is hot enough put fenugreek seeds and stir well.. Later add onion, curry leaves, green chilies, red chilies together to the oil..
3)cook this for 3-4 minutes in medium flame along with some salt..then add the cooked beef mixture to this onion.. Also add the spice powders and cilantro leaves.. Now stir nicely all ingredients together..
4)now keep the flame medium and cook the gravy type beef masala well.. Stir occasionally and let it cook ( but don’t close and cook!!)
5) you have to cook this in low flame once the water content is gone!! Then keep stirring the beef with an equal interval.. By this time the beef might be turning to dark brown..
6)continue cooking this in low flame till the beef becomes super dry without any water content.. It should be in a dry powder like form..
( that’s why I told , you need a lot of patience!!)
7)If needed add more curry leaves and off the flame !!
So our Beef Varattiyathu is ready to serve.. Serve it with Rice/ Chapathi/ Kerala Porotta..
I hope all would give a try !! Do send me the pics as well..