Kerala Style Chicken Curry with Spicy Roasted Desiccated Coconut
Naadan Varutharacha Kozhi Curry / Kerala Style Chicken Curry is an all time favorite of my family.. This type of VARUTHARACHA Chicken curry is usually made with Fresh coconut, roasted with spices..
But today I’m posting Varutharacha Chicken Curry with Desiccated Coconut/ dry coconut powder.. So don’t worry, you can make Varutharacha chicken curry even without fresh coconut.. !! Believe me, it was so good .. Tasted just like the curry done with Fresh coconut.. if you want to try a super healthy Chicken curry, here is the recipe of ZERO OIL CHICKEN CURRY(click the link)!
So here is the recipe:
- Chicken-1 ( cut to medium sized pieces)
- Potato-1 ( cut to pieces )
- Onion-2 ( chopped)
- Ginger-1/2 inch piece ( crushed)
- Garlic -5 cloves ( crushed )
- Tomato-1 ( chopped)
- Curry leaves-a small bunch
- Coconut oil-2 spoon
- Red chilly powder- 2 spoon
- Turmeric powder-1/2 spoon
- Coriander powder -2 spoon
- Garam masala powder-1/2 spoon
- Fennel seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- Desiccated coconut-1/2 cup
- Coconut oil- 1 spoon
- Kashmiri chilly powder-1/2 spoon
- Onion-a small one (finely chopped ) / 4-5 shallots finely chopped
How to make:
1) first of all, heat a pan.. Put the desiccated coconut to it..sauté in medium flame for sometime..then add fennel seeds, few curry leaves, shallots, and all the spice powders..stir nicely till the desiccated coconut turns brown and roasted..off the flame when it is done and keep it aside! Once it is cool, blend it to a smooth paste with 3/4 cup of water or so..if needed add more water..
2)now heat a pan / wok.. Add oil.. Then put onion and curry leaves..sauté well for 2-3 minutes in medium flame.. Then add fenugreek leaves and cook for another 2-3 minutes..
3)next add chicken pieces , crushed ginger & garlic,and salt.. After some time add the potato pieces..Mix all the ingredients together and cook with the lid closed!!
4)occasionally open the lid and stir gently..then add tomatoes.. And again cook with the lid closed for some more time till water comes out of the chicken..also chicken and potatoes should be cooked well..
5)then pour the desiccated coconut paste to the chicken and mix well.. If needed add some more water and check the salt..add more salt if required..let it boil for at least 4 minutes.. Then off the flame!!
6)now let’s do the seasoning or tadka.. Heat a pan, add oil.. Later add onion/ shallots.. Sauté it well and once it is cooked add Kashmiri chilly powder.. Off the flame and pour this to the chicken curry..mix well with the chicken curry..
So is ready!! That too with desiccated coconut / dried coconut powder.. This chicken curry tastes best with Ghee rice!! That’s our favorite..it will go with rice/ chapathi / any kind of bread.