Tomato- Curd Rice
Some days, we don’t feel like cooking a great lunch ! Tired and lazy days.. This Tomato-Curd Rice is what I used to make during such days.. It’s not exactly the South Indian Curd rice , in which the rice is almost mashed before cooking..
But the best thing is that , along with Tomato-Curd rice we don’t need any side dish.. If you need something, Indian Pickle would be the perfect match.. But last I served the rice along with a Breadfruit Fry ( i.e., Kadachakka fry)!! That was also a good try..
This Tomato-Curd rice is a good Lunchbox recipe as well.. Easy to prepare and easy to eat with a spoon , wherever you are..or if you got some leftover rice from last day, then this is the best way to use it up..
So let’s check the quick recipe of Tomato- Curd Rice..
- Rice-2 cups ( cooked) NB: can use whatever rice you prepare at home for lunch, I used Thailand Modern Rice
- Tomato-2 ( finely chopped)
- Onion-2 ( chopped)
- White Urad dal – 1 big spoon
- Roasted gram/ pottukadala- 1/2 spoon
- Mustard seeds-1/4 spoon
- Red chillies – 4 nos.
- Curry leaves -a handful
- Cilantro leaves -a handful ( finely chopped)
- Vegetable oil-2 spoon
- Yogurt / curd-5 big spoon/ 2 small yogurt cups ( or as per the quantity of rice )
- Ginger-a small piece( finely chopped)
- Garlic-2-3 cloves ( finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder-1/2 spoon
- Garam masala powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Salt-as per needed
How to make:
1) first heat a wok, first splutter mustard seeds, next Urad dal and then Roasted gram..after these add the curry leaves, red chilles and sauté for a while..
2)now add the chopped onion , tomatoes, ginger and garlic to the wok.. Sauté it well with some salt..cook this for at least 5 minutes in medium flame with lid closed..
3)add all the spice powders..mash the tomatoes along with the spice mix with the spatula..then add 1/4 of water and cook in high flame till it becomes a thick solution..
4) now reduce the flame to sum and add the yogurt and cilantro leaves..mix this well with the tomato mixture.. Add more salt if needed and cook it for few minutes, say 1-2 minutes..
5)now let’s add the final ingredient-Rice.. Mix it well with the mixture and cook in low flame with lid closed for 5 minutes.. Occasionally stir it gently, so that the rice get mixed well with the tomato & yogurt paste ..
Once it is done , off the flame.. If needed , add more cilantro leaves and curry leaves..
So our easy Tomato-Curd Rice is ready..I hope your family will love this yummy preparation of rice..