Hello everyone.. Happy weekend to all!! Today I’m posting a vegetarian dish.. Kerala Style Okra Stir Fry / Vendakka Mezhukkuperatti.. I know most of the keralites & South Indians would be familiar with this quick recipe.. But still I’m posting the recipe , for those who don’t know and to those who want to explore more yummy dishes with Okra..
We used to make this Vendakka Mezhukkuperatti for lunch.. It will go well with Rice and chapathi.. It’s a great lunch box recipe as well.. My husband prefer taking this for work along with Chapathi’s..
So let’s check the quick recipe of Kerala style Okra Stir Fry / Vendakka Mezhukkuperatti:
- Okra-500 gms( chopped )
- Onion-2 ( chopped )
- Cumin seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- mustard seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
- Cilantro leaves-a handful ( chopped )
- Ginger-1/2 inch piece ( finely chopped )
- Garlic-4 cloves ( finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder-1 spoon
- Garam masala powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder -1/2 spoon
- Black pepper powder-1/2 spoon
- Coconut Oil-2 spoon
- Salt-as per needed
How to make:
1) first of all heat the pan, add oil.. When it is hot , splutter mustard seeds and Cumin seeds and add onion along with chopped Ginger & Garlic.. Sauté this for few minutes and later add salt.. Now cook this for 2-3 minutes in medium flame..
2)once the onion is tender, add all the spice powders and stir nicely.. Later add the chopped Okra and again stir gently ..Add more salt if needed.. Then reduce the flame and cook this for 6-8 minutes with lid closed.. Occasionally stir gently to prevent it from sticking to the pan..
3) now open the lid and cook on medium flame for few more minutes..If needed add 1 spoon more oil..and by this time the okra might have turned dark brown .
4) finish it off with cilantro Leaves and mix well with the stir fry..once it reaches the required dry consistency off the flame..
So Vendakka Mezhukkuperatti is done!! Serve hot with rice or Chapathi’s !!