Kerala King Fish “Pollichathu”
King fish can be prepared in many ways!! Today i preferred to make it in typical Kerala style.. This kind of “fish pollichathu” is the traditional dish from the Kerala backwaters ..
Its so delicious and divine … we love eating it along with some rice!! The spicy-sour taste is yummmmmy..if you love this dish, may be you will love Kerala Style Fish Curry / Meen Mulakittathu !!
- King fish-4 pcs( marinated with chilli powder,turmeric powder, salt)
- Onion-3( chopped finely )
- Tomato-2( chopped )
- Ginger-1 big pc( pasted )
- Garlic-12 cloves( pasted )
- Green chilli-1 big(pasted )
- Curry leaves-as per taste
- Cilantro leaves-as per taste
- Chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder-1 teaspoon
- Tamarind paste-1/2 cup
- Coconut oil-2 spoon
- Mustard seeds-1/2 teaspoon
How to make:
1) shallow fry the fish pcs in oil and dont cook it full… Take from oil and keep it aside..
( Nb: don’t off the flame)
2)now splutter the mustard seeds in this very same oil…
3)add onions and saute well along with some salt..cook it for 5-8 mins with lids closed..
4)now add the tomatoes and saute well along with the tamarind paste…saute well..
5)later add ginger garlic chilli paste and the masala powders.. Cook well till soft and off tge flame after adding the curry leaves and cilantro leaves!!
6) now just show the banana leaves over low flame from a little height and make it flexible …
7) now keep the banana leaves in a flat surface and place the thick masala in it..and place the king fish fry over it and cover with more masala..
8) now fold the banana leaves into four in square shape..tie it with a thread if needed to keep it tightly wrapped..
9)now keep a pan with few drops of oil spread over it on low flame..
10) place the banana wrap on it cook for 5 mins each side with lid closed..
Yummy fish pollichathu is ready?!!
Njoy this with rice / any kind of bread…but i strongly suggest Rice!!!