Malabari Chicken Biryani ( step by step images ):
“Biryani”, one great dish which takes you to the world of rich flavor and happiness?!! My favorite food which I LOVE to eat whenever I feel low or overjoyed ?!! In my opinion ,one should forget about the diet plans while eating biryani !! In order to get the right taste, we should be generous with ghee and oil..There are lot many types of Biryani recipes out there, in fact each place got their own signature Biryani Recipe.. Among them today I’m posting Malabari Chicken dum biryani, which is really yummy and easy to prepare!! So njoy the recipe….
Recipe consists of 3 main steps:
- preparing ghee rice
- making chicken masala
- doing the ‘ dum’ process( layering the rice and masala, and cooking in a particular way)
Preparing ghee rice:
- Onion- 1( finely sliced )
- Dalda- 3 big spoon
- Ghee- 1 small teaspoon
- Jeerakashala/ basmati rice- 3 cups
- pepper, cardamom,bay leaves,cinnamon,fennel- as shown in the image
- boiled water-6 cups( same cup used to measure rice)
How to make:
1) heat the cooking vessel,add dalda or oil and let it melt..later add all the spices and onion.. Let this cook for a while and then add washed rice.. Saute the rice in this ghee mixture for 5-8 mins , ie until it turns a bit fried n shiny..then add the boiled water n let it cook well.. Don’t forget to add n check d salt?. This time keep the flame a bit high n when it looks almost all water evaporated then reduce the flame n close d lid air tight!! Keep this in sim for 10 minutes and then off the flame!!
So the ghee rice is done!! Let it stay like that only( with the lid tightly closed )!!
Preparing the chicken Masala :
- onion-12 medium sized( sliced)
- tomatoes-8 big ( sliced )
- Garlic-20 cloves (crushed )
- ginger-4 big pieces (crushed )
- green chilies-10 (crushed)
- Cilantro leaves- as per needed
- Garam masala– 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander powder- 1+ 1/2 teaspoon
- chilly powder-1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Chicken- 2 ( almost 2 -2.5 kg )
- curd-2 big spoon
- Ghee-4 big spoon
How to make :
1) Heat the cooking vessel and add ghee. Later add the sliced onion n saute well along with some salt until it turns dark blackish brown color..almost cook for 15-20 mins
3) When the onion-tomato paste is done perfectly, add the masala powders ( turmeric, chilly, coriander, garam masala),Ginger-Garlic and chilly paste.. Mix all the ingredients together!! Hmmm biryaniiiii smell !!!!
Close the lid and cook well till the chicken get tender!!cook for 10-15 minutes
5) later add the curd and cilantro leaves n cook with closed lid for 6-8 minutes.
So the biryani’s chicken masala is ready!!?
Dum process :
Ingredients needed for dum:
- Onion-2( thinly sliced n fried in ghee )
- Cashew nuts-a handful ( fried in ghee )
- Raisins-a handful ( fried in ghee )
- cilantro leaves- a handful (chopped)
- garam masala powder– 1 spoon for sprinkling
- ghee- 1 teaspoon
How to make:
1) heat the cooking vessel, add 1 teaspoon ghee and add the first layer of rice!! So v started the dum process?!!next add the chicken masala , spread evenly over the rice and then layer twice above it..
2) now the chicken masala is layered in between rice!! So we are almost nearing to the final biryani!!now add the fried ingredients all evenly above the rice, sprinkle cilantro leaves and garam masala!! Also don’t forget to insert ghee into the rice by making small holes with fork!!
3)ohhh!! Now keep the vessel closed with lid and place a heavy thing or dish above it to make it air tight!!and keep this on sim flame for 10 mins..
So finally malabari Chicken Biryani is done!!! before,plating serve the white rice in the top to a plate.. mix the rest of all in the vessel in order to get the full flavor of biryani to all the rice .. Now serve the biryani topped with the white rice which we saved !! Now Serve the delicious yummy biryani with curd salad and pickle!!
Njoy folks!! Please forget not to like and share this yummy recipe !!